Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Flash Mob

I joined many of our classmates in the "Flash Mob" this weekend at the Provo Town Center mall. I'm sure I'll be able to attach the video to this post soon, but in the mean time I'll blog about my experience.To grab the attention of our "audience" at the food court we had a man dressed like Juliet (women's clothings, wig and all) stand on top of a chair and yell "Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" Then each of us proceeded to make our way towards Juliet as we said our lines. My line was "Who is already sick and pale with grief". I, too, like Jennifer P. was a far away so I sprinted toward Juliet and yelled my line as loud as I could although the music playing sorted drowned me out. I'm not sure I even want to see what I looked like in the video...but hey, at least I've got the Performance requirement over with, right?

I AM SHY so this was nerve-racking to say the least, but in the end I had a lot of fun. I thought if I was ever part of a flash mob it would be the dancing type, like my favorite in Liverpool. I brought my husband along with me to help calm the jitters. Here's what he thought about it:

"I think it was a fun idea that made people laugh and entertained people for a minute of their lives. Even though it was short and hard to hear over the music playing in the Food Court, I'm glad I was there to see it."

I think Shakespeare would've loved performances like this because he was all about entertaining the masses. Surprising a random group of people during the drone of everyday life with some meaningful words and a bit of entertainment gets the spirit of Shakespeare out there, and I'm happy to have participated in that. Thanks to Max and Whitney for putting this together!

UPDATE: Click here to watch the video.