Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Richard is Satan so Shakespeare was probably Mormon

I now understand what Bevington was talking about when he said that Shakespeare took the liberty to condense history in Richard III. So far, If I understand correctly, within a couple of days Richard has murdered his brother, proposed to Lady Anne (he killed her husband and father-in-law within a week I'm guessing since the scene takes place next to a fresh corpse), King Edward IV died, Hastings has been beheaded, three men have been sentenced by Richard, and Prince Edward has come to take the crown. What a week!

Richard's ability to manipulate Lady Anne into marrying him is very puzzling to me. After reading the scene I was not convinced by the dialogue that he had succeeded in seducing her, there had to be something else going on. I was very curious to see if viewing a performance of the scene would change my mind, and lo and behold Mandy posted the clip!


But I still don't think there was any romance in the scene. I see pity, fear, and selfishness on both their parts. Mandy, David and I discussed via IntenseDebate that women during that time in history were only powerful through royalty or their husband's title. While self interest is a motivator for Richard, it could be a motivator for Lady Anne, as well. I also think that Lady Anne knew well the evils Richard had done and could do and she saw this "giving in" as a way to protect herself. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, right? Also, does anyone else notice how pitiful Richard is in that scene? How much of that is an act and how much of that is a glimpse into the pathetic, cowardly man he truly is? I have to admit that this makes me think of the scripture about Satan in 2 Nephi: 24--

16They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and shall consider thee, and shall say: Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms?

  1. This evil, crippled man destroys so many lives, manipulates people into throwing away their principles, exudes greed, and with one lie after another climbs his way to rule a kingdom? By no means do I intend for this to be a sermon, but it's something to think about.